Are you still smarting over the holiday pounds that refuse to go away? If this isn’t you, luck you! But if you’re like me and are on the way back to the pre-feast body, and possibly an even better one, then here are some ideas for you to get past that hurdle while you work on getting in shape.
1. If you’re going to the closet and lamenting over what no longer fits, STOP! Feeling bad and beating yourself up won’t help you look any better.
2. It’s time to start moving toward a Spring wardrobe, so start by doing a closet survey. How’s it looking? Are things jammed in there or are things organized? If they’re not, separate tops, bottoms, dresses, skirts, and outerwear.
3. Doing a quick survey, pull out things that absolutely don’t fit you. Store them in a container labeled “To wear when I reach size ____”
4. Pull out things that fit but you don’t like. These go into a separate container that will go to a charity if they are still good and clean.
5. Look at what’s left and separate into five areas: Exercise, casual, dressy, special occasion outfits, jackets and coats.
6. Now organize each section by color. By the way, sweaters should be folded in moth-proof drawers or containers, again by color.
7. If your closets are cedar-lined, woolens will be okay. My closet wasn’t and when I started sorting through my wool sweaters, I had to throw quite a few away because they had holes in them. Places like Home Depot and other home-building stores carry cedar panels at a very reasonable price. I measured my closet floor and had them cut the panels to size. The leftover pieces I placed on shelves. Not only does it protect my woolen pants, jackets, etc., but the closet smells clean and fresh.
8. Figure out what looks great on you and look for creative ways to jazz up the outfits that do fit you. A scarf, a shrug, fun accessories can do the trick.
9. Resist the temptation to buy anything in a smaller size to wear when you reach your goal. Instead, take out ONE outfit you love and no longer fits, put a tag with a today’s date on it, and use as the goal outfit to get into. You will have a measure then of how long it took you to get there.
10. My final tip is to reward yourself when you do reach your goal! Buy something wonderful and make sure that when you decide what you buy you know that it’s SIGNIFICANTLY WONDERFUL because that’s who you are.